Why smoothies are now spooned out of bowls
What would life be without contrasts? That’s even more true when it comes to food. A new breakfast trend combines creamy smoothies with crunchy toppings. Voilà, the smoothie bowls were invented, bringing color to your breakfast. Why you should try it.
Smoothies for spooning
Be it a Mango Lassi, green smoothie or a superfood shake, we have long known the mixtures of fruit, vegetables and (plant-based) milk products for drinking. With smoothie bowls, the mix is even thicker, served in bowls and garnished with different toppings. The imagination knows no limits: Be it fruit, nuts, seeds or cereals, such a beautifully decorated breakfast really whets your appetite!
The base of smoothie bowls
The base for smoothie bowls is fruit and vegetable puree, often in combination with plant-based milk or (vegan) yogurt. The thick consistency of smoothie bowls is important. This can be achieved with, for example, bananas, avocados or frozen fruits. Nutmeg, swollen chia seeds or soaked oat flakes are also very good and supplement your bowl with more nutrients.
Choose your favorite toppings
If your smoothie is ready mixed, pour it into a bowl and add the toppings as a finishing touch. Whatever tastes good goes! As inspiration, we have put together a few suggestions for delicious combinations:
- Roasted hazelnuts, hemp seeds and banana
- Mango, coconut flakes and almond slices
- Ground flaxseed, goji berries and cornflakes
- Popped amaranth, pumpkin seeds and apple pieces
- Crunchy muesli, pecan nuts and berries
Smoothie Bowl recipe
Well, have you got a taste for it? Then try our banana and strawberry smoothie bowl recipe!
For one portion:
- Soak 1 tbsp chia seeds in 100 ml Dream Almond drink for a short while.
- Mix together with ¾ of a banana, a handful of strawberries and 4 tbsp Yogurt Alternative in a blender to make a thick smoothie. Cut the remaining fruit into pieces for the topping.
- Add some Almond Drink or Yogurt Alternative to taste, until the right consistency is achieved.
- Place in a bowl and garnish with a topping of banana and strawberry pieces, coconut flakes, chopped almonds and chia seeds.